JACKBOYS Review

jackboys-project.jpeg

JACKBOYS Review
by Leakify

HIGHEST IN THE ROOM (REMIX) [feat. ROSALIA & Lil Baby]

Due to the fact that Highest in the Room was released before Jackboys, and this is a remix, I'm mostly just reviewing the new additions to the song. I didn't mind the original song, but I felt like this version was a mess. Rosalia, a spanish singer, doesn't mash well at all with Lil Baby following up right after her. To be fair, it is a remix, so it's up to the listener to decide what version they want to listen to, but for people that only want to listen to the Lil Baby addition... it just doesn't really make sense. The Lil Baby verse isn't bad either, but it's nothing to write home about. As a final thought, Rosalia saying "straight up" was the cringiest thing I've heard in a while.

Score: 5/10

INTRO
The intro song (that isn't even the intro) is a basic 47 second instrumental that sounds great and leads right into the following track, Gang Gang. There's no vocals and it isn't a full song, so I won't include it in the scoring. The only knock I have on it is... does a 7 song "pack" really need an intro?

GANG GANG
After 2 tracks, we're finally into the first real song of the pack. I've been listening to the pack since its release, and out of the 7 songs I think this will be the one I come back to the most. Travis Scott, Sheck Wes, Don Toliver, and Luxury Tax all carry their weight and give enjoyable performances. The beat is great and everyone brings something a little different to the song; Sheck brings a higher energy, Don Toliver brings a catchy hook, Luxury Tax brings a regular verse (that was surprisingly good), and Travis... brings Travis. The only thing that disappointed me was that on a pack called "Jack Boys" this felt like the only real Jackboy song.

Score: 8.5

HAD ENOUGH (feat. Quavo & Offset)
Out of the seven songs, this was the hardest for me to review. I enjoyed all three artists on this song, and the beat sounds great, but the song just felt so... "mid". Maybe it will grow on me, but I don't think this will be a song that I'll come back to for very long.

Score: 6

OUT WEST (feat. Young Thug)
This will be the favorite song on the pack for many, and it is easy to understand why. Thug and Travis are just a genuinely good duo, with obvious chemistry. I'm glad that after a brief hiatus, the two are finally starting to make consistent music together. Murda Beatz came through on the beat and delivered a hard instrumental that the two artists could flow on. In general, the song was nothing groundbreaking or super memorable, but it didn't exactly dissapoint either. This is another song that I will definitely be on my playlist for quite a while

WHAT TO DO
What to Do stands out to me as the most unique song from this project. Between the orchestra in the background, the guitar, and Don Toliver and Travis going back and forth, the song is simply beautiful. If I had to give someone a song to show why Travis signed Don Toliver to Cactus Jack, I would certainly consider this one. Both artists gave it their all on this song, and to me, it's the most sonically pleasing song on the album.

Score: 9

GATTI (feat. Pop Smoke)
I said that Had Enough was the hardest song to review, but this is extremely close for a different reason. I couldn't tell if I liked this song or hated it. I can tell from the mixed reviews this song has gotten that many feel the same way. I'm neither a fan of the grime type-beat or Pop Smoke, so I this song was going to be tough for me to like anyways. The Travis verse was decent, but not enough for it to save the song for me.

Score: 4.5

Overall:
This pack had its highs and lows, but overall had some great songs that I'll be coming back to. I think a lot of people went into this project with high expectations, and were not prepared for a 7 song (5 if you remove the remix and intro) project. I also feel like this could be a Huncho Jack situation, where people enjoy the project more once the shock wears off. To me, Jack Boys is great for what it is; An insight into the beginnings of Cactus Jack, and how Travis Scott has begun to develop his label with artists like Don Toliver and Sheck Wes. It sounds like this will not be the only Jackboys project, so hopefully this pack is followed up by much more music.

Things I Liked:
- Travis and Thug: You can't go wrong with having both of them on a song, they have yet to really miss
- Don Toliver: This project gives him lots of room to shine, and will expand his audience even bigger

Things I Did Not Like:
- Lack of Sheck Wes: I know most people do not like him, but as a fan I was hoping he'd get room to shine similar to Don Toliver. I hope that future Jackboys projects give him more of an oppurtunity to become more than just "the Mo Bamba guy"
- Length: This is a pretty obvious one. Like most, I was disappointed to see that the pack was only 7 songs. The project feels to long to be a quick promo release, but too short to be a full project, leaving it in an awkward middle ground. It doesn't feel as concise as other 7 song albums like the G.O.O.D albums from last year, but rather a full length album that someone clicked shuffle on a picked the first 7 songs.

Final Score: 7

(Note: It should go without saying, but this review is based off of my opinion of the project, and it isn't even a day old.)

Last edited:
Leakify

Comments

Kira

Stan
Middleman Required
Verified
Nov 24, 2019
shit’s barely even out, yall race to review shit while not even giving it some time to be fully processed. bad review and you should do one in a month or two instead of this “first impression” review with laughable lines like “maybe it will grow on me”. a review is supposed to be a FINAL SCORE, not I listened to it a few times on release day and here’s what I think!

OkJames354

Stan
May 21, 2019
It's no doubt Travis always has huge expectations placed on him. I'm glad he makes stuff that isn't for everybody and opts for some weird choices. It shows he's taking risks and following his own creative path
Nice review!
i dont think waiting a month or 2 for 6 to 5 song (album) pack should take that long to review smh but you got good points.

Reactions: boohfefd

Baby Pluto

Finessin’ Hearts
Sep 6, 2019
i honestly love the remix, imo it’s way better than the original. I always thought the original was too repetitive and boring

Reactions: Leakify

W_1

dropout
VIP
Aug 27, 2018
View attachment 21076

JACKBOYS Review
by Leakify

Due to the fact that Highest in the Room was released before Jackboys, and this is a remix, I'm mostly just reviewing the new additions to the song. I didn't mind the original song, but I felt like this version was a mess. Rosalia, a spanish singer, doesn't mash well at all with Lil Baby following up right after her. To be fair, it is a remix, so it's up to the listener to decide what version they want to listen to, but for people that only want to listen to the Lil Baby addition... it just doesn't really make sense. The Lil Baby verse isn't bad either, but it's nothing to write home about. As a final thought, Rosalia saying "straight up" was the cringiest thing I've heard in a while.

INTRO
The intro song (that isn't even the intro) is a basic 47 second instrumental that sounds great and leads right into the following track, Gang Gang. There's no vocals and it isn't a full song, so I won't include it in the scoring. The only knock I have on it is... does a 7 song "pack" really need an intro?

GANG GANG
After 2 tracks, we're finally into the first real song of the pack. I've been listening to the pack since its release, and out of the 7 songs I think this will be the one I come back to the most. Travis Scott, Sheck Wes, Don Toliver, and Luxury Tax all carry their weight and give enjoyable performances. The beat is great and everyone brings something a little different to the song; Sheck brings a higher energy, Don Toliver brings a catchy hook, Luxury Tax brings a regular verse (that was surprisingly good), and Travis... brings Travis. The only thing that disappointed me was that on a pack called "Jack Boys" this felt like the only real Jackboy song.

Out of the seven songs, this was the hardest for me to review. I enjoyed all three artists on this song, and the beat sounds great, but the song just felt so... "mid". Maybe it will grow on me, but I don't think this will be a song that I'll come back to for very long.

This will be the favorite song on the pack for many, and it is easy to understand why. Thug and Travis are just a genuinely good duo, with obvious chemistry. I'm glad that after a brief hiatus, the two are finally starting to make consistent music together. Murda Beatz came through on the beat and delivered a hard instrumental that the two artists could flow on. In general, the song was nothing groundbreaking or super memorable, but it didn't exactly dissapoint either. This is another song that I will definitely be on my playlist for quite a while

WHAT TO DO
What to Do stands out to me as the most unique song from this project. Between the orchestra in the background, the guitar, and Don Toliver and Travis going back and forth, the song is simply beautiful. If I had to give someone a song to show why Travis signed Don Toliver to Cactus Jack, I would certainly consider this one. Both artists gave it their all on this song, and to me, it's the most sonically pleasing song on the album.

GATTI (feat. Pop Smoke)
I said that Had Enough was the hardest song to review, but this is extremely close for a different reason. I couldn't tell if I liked this song or hated it. I can tell from the mixed reviews this song has gotten that many feel the same way. I'm neither a fan of the grime type-beat or Pop Smoke, so I this song was going to be tough for me to like anyways. The Travis verse was decent, but not enough for it to save the song for me.

Overall:
This pack had its highs and lows, but overall had some great songs that I'll be coming back to. I think a lot of people went into this project with high expectations, and were not prepared for a 7 song (5 if you remove the remix and intro) project. I also feel like this could be a Huncho Jack situation, where people enjoy the project more once the shock wears off. To me, Jack Boys is great for what it is; An insight into the beginnings of Cactus Jack, and how Travis Scott has begun to develop his label with artists like Don Toliver and Sheck Wes. It sounds like this will not be the only Jackboys project, so hopefully this pack is followed up by much more music.

Things I Liked:
- Travis and Thug: You can't go wrong with having both of them on a song, they have yet to really miss
- Don Toliver: This project gives him lots of room to shine, and will expand his audience even bigger

Things I Did Not Like:
- Lack of Sheck Wes: I know most people do not like him, but as a fan I was hoping he'd get room to shine similar to Don Toliver. I hope that future Jackboys projects give him more of an oppurtunity to become more than just "the Mo Bamba guy"
- Length: This is a pretty obvious one. Like most, I was disappointed to see that the pack was only 7 songs. The project feels to long to be a quick promo release, but too short to be a full project, leaving it in an awkward middle ground. It doesn't feel as concise as other 7 song albums like the G.O.O.D albums from last year, but rather a full length album that someone clicked shuffle on a picked the first 7 songs.

(Note: It should go without saying, but this review is based off of my opinion of the project, and it isn't even a day old.)
Great review man, exactly the score it deserves i guess
Also Out West is produced by Buddha Bless, not Murda Beatz

Panic

yerc militia foot soldier
Verified
VIP
Groupbuys
Oct 31, 2018
great review brud, but gotti goes hard fam

Reactions: Leakify

Yeezus_is_king

Oct 3, 2019

JACKBOYS Review
by Leakify

INTRO

GANG GANG

WHAT TO DO

GATTI (feat. Pop Smoke)

Overall:

Things I Liked:

Things I Did Not Like:

Tbh I loved the Rosalía feature